Thursday, July 14, 2005

ERAGON - book review


The name ERAGON sounds as though an era has gone by...

I got his book as a b'day present from my sister this year and for quite sometime didnot find enough time to go through the same. However, the front cover of the book almost kept inducing me to go through it once...and one day I decided to take the plunge.

The plot of the story revolves around a lot of fantasy where a boy Eragon, discovers a blue stone which eventually turns out to be a dragon's egg. Eragon and Saphira(the dragon) get together alongwith a witch Angela, Arya the elf and Murtag. Along with the Varden and Dwarves they fight the evils forces of the Urgals and the Shade.

The book is written quite well and the author does a nice job of maintaining continuity. It did capture me over the last two weeks and was engrossing. The end could have been better as I felt it was a bit abrupt.

I read some of the reviews in Amazon today and felt that people have compared the author Christopher Paolini with some of the great writers like RR Tolkein and feel that he has borrowed from them and did a shity job. Tolkein is obviously a great author and I donot have any doubts on that. However, I disagree to the statement that he did a shity job...and feel that if I were to look at Eragon in absolute sense, it is pretty neat(I am not considering the age of Christopher, when he wrote the book) The overall rating at Amazon is a 4 on 5 which is good.

Anyways, if you are in Hyderabad and want to borrow the book from me please do so...You can also visit the website http://www.alagaesia.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment